Saturday, June 23, 2007

Digital Integration

Okay--first I must disclose that I love photographer Annie Leibovitz. It's easy for people to knock her work (due to its ubiquity or their jealousy), but I think her portraits are quite striking, and she's given us some of the most memorable images of celebrities we have.

But I find it hard not to question the ethics of shooting world famous people in separate photo sessions, and then Photoshopping them together and calling the portraits "historic" for a series about Africa.

Michael Shaw at HuffPost alerted us here.

Had I not read his post, I, and I bet nearly everyone else looking at a newstand would have marvelled at getting Bush and Bishop Tutu together for such a session. Or many other of the pairings (only one shot actually of two people in the frame at the same time).

Sure, I know that all glossy magazine covers are P-shopped within an inch of unreality for the sake of making the subject look good (or guilty, in this infamous case). But this particular instance, billed as "historic," breaks new ground in obfuscation. Shame on you, Annie, and shame on you Vanity Fair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home